Suspect in shootings dead after police chase, exchange of gunfire

Oct 10, 2018

Credit Brett Dahlberg / WXXI News

The suspect in multiple shootings is dead after leading police on a cross-town chase Wednesday. Police say he was "on a mission" to "kill his entire family."

Police pursued 39-year-old Terrell Blake after spotting him erratically driving a U-Haul van. He was shot and killed in the area of Frances and Forrester streets after he shot at officers, Deputy Chief LaRon Singletary said. Residents described a rapid succession of gunshots.

Police said Blake was pronounced dead with gunshot wounds at the scene, but it was unclear precisely how he died or whether any of his wounds were self-inflicted. 

The crime spree began, police said, when Blake shot two people on Post Avenue near Arnett Boulevard. The report came in about 9:40 a.m.  One woman was found dead at the scene, and one man was injured, according to police, both with multiple gunshot wounds to their upper bodies. Monroe County sheriff chief deputy Mike Fowler said police believe the woman was a former romantic partner of Blake, and the man was her new partner. The man's injuries were not life-threatening, and he was taken to Strong Memorial Hospital for treatment, Singletary said.

Police identified those victims Thursday as Antane Lopez, 28, and Willie Jakes, 25, both Rochester residents.

About 40 minutes later, officers got a call for another shooting of a man on Frances Street. Police said they found that victim, Terrell Blake Jr., 20, with gunshot wounds to his lower body. The younger Blake was able to identify his shooter as his father, police said, and his injuries were not expected to be life-threatening.

Students at School 25 were released under police supervision Wednesday afternoon.
Credit Brett Dahlberg / WXXI News

The Rochester City School District put out a message for students at School 16 on Post Avenue, saying that all children are safe, but children were brought inside the building and the doors were secured as a precaution. The district later placed Schools 25 and 33 on lockdown as well, citing their proximity to the second shooting.

School lockouts were lifted by early afternoon.

"Just a scary situation," said Benjamin Miller, picking up his son Maurice from School 25. "With your child, you don't know what being near this will do to them mentally or emotionally."