Connections: Discussing homeless shaming
A man captured in a viral video shaving while on a public train in New Jersey said he was trying to look "presentable" to his brother after spending several days in a homeless shelter. The man was widely mocked for shaving in public, before his circumstances were revealed. Now his story is a cautionary tale about judgment and struggle.
Our panelists share their own stories.
- Patrick Braswell, community member who was formerly homeless
- Cornell Davis, community member who was formerly homeless
- Donald "Preacher" Adams, community member who was formerly homeless
- James Murphy, Catholic worker at St. Joseph's House of Hospitality
- Harry Murray, professor of sociology at Nazareth College, and coordinator of the Peace and Justice major