Connections: "End the R-Word" campaign focuses on disparities
The campaign to "End the R-Word" marches into 2018. It's the tenth year for the effort that began as a way to highlight the pejorative and common use of the word "retard."
This year's campaign has a special focus on recognizing the disparities faced by people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, especially in the fields of health care, housing, employment, and access to social opportunities. Our guests:
- Ann Costello, director of the Golisano Foundation
- Dr. Tiffany Pulcino, M.D., assistant professor of internal medicine and pediatrics at the University of Rochester Medical Center, and medical director of the UR Medicine Complex Care Center
- Lindsay Jewett, area director for Best Buddies New York
- Dillon Muelter, Best Buddies participant at Buffalo State College
- Soeren Palumbo, senior director for global youth engagement for the Special Olympics, and co-founder of the Spread the Word to End the Word campaign