We wrap up our annual Dialogue on Disability Week with a conversation about sports, media, and inclusion. Special Olympics New York is celebrating 50 years. We’re joined by an athlete who has been part of the program for 40 years, as well as RIT photojournalism students who have covered athletes’ stories.
We discuss how sports can help people discover new abilities and strengths, and how effective media coverage can help create a more inclusive society. In studio:
- Patty VanSavage, athlete and member of the Great Tigers Club
- John VanSavage, Patty’s brother and coach with the Great Tigers Club
- Stacey Hengsterman, president and CEO of Special Olympics New York
- Jenn Poggi, assistant professor of photojournalism at RIT
- Josh Meltzer, assistant professor of photojournalism at RIT
- Jackie Diller, photojournalism major at RIT
- Ashley Crichton, advertising photography major at RIT
This story is reported from WXXI's Inclusion Desk.