Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Memorial Service Held For Congresswoman Slaughter's Husband

Robert Slaughter, the husband of Congresswoman Louise Slaughter
Robert Slaughter, the husband of Congresswoman Louise Slaughter

After 57 years of marriage, Congresswoman Louise Slaughter laid her husband, Robert, to rest on Wednesday. 

Friends and family gathered for a memorial ceremony at Christ Church on East Avenue.

During the service, Slaughter reflected how her husband always stood by her side throughout her political career. That included driving her back and forth between Rochester and Washington D.C., particularly after she broke her leg a couple years ago. 

“I sure do need him now,” Slaughter says. “He [Robert] was incredible. He simply died; his heart stopped and so did mine.”

Slaughter called her husband a renaissance man. Mr. Slaughter was eulogized as a craftsman, insightful man and lover of music.

Among the guests, the former Brighton Town Supervisor Sandra Frankel who says she's known Mr. Slaughter for more than 25 years. She says he was a good partner to the Congresswoman.

"They were an amazing team, but it was much deeper than that. The love that they shared, the family they built, the lives that they lead. He really has left a strong legacy for our community and our country. We're blessed to have had Bob in our lives in one way or another.

Robert Slaughter retired from Eastman Kodak in 1991. That’s where New York Regent Emeritus Walter Cooper says he remembers meeting Mr. Slaughter, when he worked.   

“[I] always considered him to be a very gentle, knowledgeable individual who had deep thoughts about almost any subject. Not verbose. When he stated something it had impact."

Mr. Slaughter served in the U.S. Air Force from 1954-55 and settled after his discharge in the Rochester area. During the ceremony at Christ Church, he received military honors. Congresswoman Slaughter was presented with the flag of the United States of America.

Robert Slaughter died on May 22nd in Washington, D.C. He was 82.