Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations

Alcohol and fireworks don’t mix, authorities say

Consumer Product Safety Commission
The Consumer Product Safety Commission holds its annual news conference urging people to be safe with fireworks -- and discouraging them from launching the explosives off their bodies.


The Consumer Products Safety Commission wants you to know that fireworks are dangerous.

And a local doctor wants to remind people that mixing alcohol and fireworks is an explosive combination.

“You know, if you’re gonna be drinking, it’s probably a bad idea to play around with fireworks,” said Scott Allan, the medical director at Rochester Regional Health’s immediate care facilities.

Allan said drinking-related injuries tend to increase around all summer holidays, but the Fourth of July can be particularly problematic because of the presence of fireworks.

Allan said most people with bad injuries end up skipping urgent care and going straight to the emergency room, but he still sees a wide range of wounds at his clinics.

“It really can run the gamut,” said Allan. “Most of the types of things that we see here generally would be first- or second-degree burns.”

“Usually people have the common sense to go to an emergency room if they’ve lost part of their hand or have anything involving their eye or part of their face,” he said.

Allan also warned against letting young children use sparklers (which burn at about 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit) and said some of the same health advice applies as on any other hot day.

“Wear sunscreen, find shade, and drink lots of water,” Allan said. “That’s a good way to make sure you don’t spend the day in the ER.”

Related Content