Local singing competitions under the microscope. Who needs American Idol when you have Classical Idol? Who needs X Factor when you have Lotte Lenya?
In all seriousness, it's a big week for some talented contestants. Contestants from all over the world gather in Rochester for a chance to become the next Classical Idol. In addition to cash prizes, the winner will also win a solo performance with Rochester Oratorio Society as well as the opportunity to perform with Rochester Lyric Opera.
Then, fourteen young singer-actors from the United States and Europe will compete for the top prize in the finals of the 2015 Lotte Lenya competition, which will be held at the Eastman School of Music’s Kilbourn Hall on Saturday, April 18.
We preview both contests with our guests:
- Kim Kowalke, professor of musicology at Eastman School of Music
- Rebecca Luker, three-time Tony nominee and Lotte Lenya judge
- Eric Townell, Rochester Oratorio Society artistic director
- Constance Fee, Classical Idol judge
- Julia Figueras, midday host, Classical 91.5 FM