Rochesterians will have the opportunity to ask coronavirus researchers and experts questions during a live televised virtual forum held on April 23.
WXXI LIVE FORUM: Fighting COVID-19 will air at 8 p.m. on Thursday, April 23 on WXXI-TV and simulcast on AM 1370. It will also stream on WXXINews.org and @WXXINews on Facebook. Viewers can call in their questions at 585-209-3180 or post them on Twitter/Facebook tagging @WXXINews. Questions may also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
“WXXI is committed to bringing our community the latest official information on COVID-19,” said WXXI President Norm Silverstein. “This forum is an extension of that promise -- giving us the opportunity to not only hear from the top medical experts in our region, but to also hear from our neighbors who have questions.”
Scientists and researchers are working around the world and around the clock to understand coronavirus (COVID-19), how to treat it, track it, and prevent it. Here at home, this includes scientists and clinicians from the University of Rochester Medical Center and Rochester Regional Health, who have been at the forefront of this response. WXXI LIVE FORUM: Fighting COVID-19 will share the importance of sciences and scientific research in the context of this public health crisis and provide a chance for the community to have their questions answered.
Hosted by Evan Dawson of WXXI News’ Connections, WXXI LIVE FORUM: Fighting COVID-19 will include the following panelists:
- Nancy Bennett, M.D., M.S., professor of medicine and public health sciences at the University of Rochester Medical Center; founder and director of the Center for Community Health & Prevention, and co-director of the Clinical and Translational Science Institute
- Angela Branche, M.D., assistant professor in the Department of Medicine (Infectious Diseases) at the University of Rochester Medical Center, and co-director of the URMC Vaccine Trials and Evaluation Unit
- Ann Falsey, M.D., infectious disease specialist with Rochester Regional Health, professor in the Department of Medicine (Infectious Diseases) at the University of Rochester Medical Center, and co-director of the URMC Vaccine Trials and Evaluation Unit
- Dave Topham, Ph.D., professor in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology at the Center for Vaccine Biology and Immunology, and director of the New York Influenza Center of Excellence at the University of Rochester Medical Center
- Michael D. Mendoza, M.D., M.P.H. , 9th Commissioner of Public Health for Monroe County, NY and Associate Professor in the Departments of Family Medicine, Public Health Sciences, and Nursing at the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
WXXI LIVE FORUM: Fighting COVID-19 will be recorded and will repeat on Saturday, April 25 at 12 a.m. and 3 p.m. on WXXI-TV, and Saturday, April 25 at 8 a.m., Sunday April 26 at 12 p.m. and Monday, April 27 at 7 p.m. on WXXI-WORLD (DT 21.2/cable 1275). Viewers can also find the recorded broadcast at WXXINews.org.