WXXI AM News

Two Rochester Men Sickened By Carbon Monoxide Fumes

Aug 7, 2016

Rochester fire officials say two men were sickened by carbon monoxide fumes in a house on Norton Street on Sunday.

It happened just before Noon at 1485 Norton when authorities say the two men had been operating a gas-powered pressure washer in a basement with no ventilation and were overcome by the fumes.

Responding firefighters found high levels of carbon monoxide and both men were taken to the hospital for treatment. Four others in the home were evaluated at the scene and released.

Officials say there was a working carbon monoxide detector on the second floor of the house that had gone off around the time help was called.

Fire officials say you should only use gas-powered equipment in a well-ventilated area such as  using the equipment outdoors  and to have working carbon monoxide detectors on every floor where there is a carbon-monoxide source.