The Rochester City School District has released its proposed budget, and it has slated an increase in funding for bilingual education staff and services. The Children's Agenda recently released its analysis of that proposed budget.
The request for more funding comes after more than 500 students from Puerto Rico enrolled in the district. They moved to Rochester after Hurricane Maria devastated the island.
We talk to education experts and parents about the kinds of services bilingual students need. Our guests:
- Eamonn Scanlon, education policy analyst for The Children’s Agenda
- Beatriz LeBron, commissioner for the Rochester City School Board, and parent
- Myrna Gonzalez, president of the Bilingual Council, and parent
- Wailany Olivo, parent of two children in the Rochester City School District
- Lydia Rodriguez, translator and parent