Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Lockdown lifted at Rochester General Hospital after overnight social media threat

Rochester General Hospital.
Ruth Phinney
Rochester General Hospital.

Residents of DePaul Drive in East Rochester were told to stay inside their homes Wednesday morning as a police bomb squad investigated a suicide.

The FBI alerted Rochester police earlier in the morning of a livestream video in which they say a male was making suicidal threats.

"The information received at the time was indicative of a possible threat toward Rochester General Hospital and a list of their employees," said Rochester Police Department Lt. Greg Bello.

He made the comments at a news conference in front of Rochester General Hospital, which was placed on lockdown for several hours as multiple agencies reviewed the hours-long video to determine whether there were any credible threats to the hospital or its staff.

They ultimately determined that the individual in the video did not pose any direct threat.

Chief Deputy Michael Fowler of the Monroe County Sheriff's Office said that person is believed to be dead inside the East Rochester home.

The bomb squad used a drone and a robot to make sure the residence is safe before sending deputies inside.

Rochester General Hospital lifted its lockdown around 9:30 a.m. and is operating normally now.

No one on that hospital campus was hurt, but chief medical officer Dr. Robert Mayo said traumatic events require time to process and resources are available to the employees.

"We all know that traumatic events like this require time to process and they may require assistance of others to think through, talk through that processing emotional and debriefing experience,” Mayo said.

Randy Gorbman is WXXI's director of news and public affairs. Randy manages the day-to-day operations of WXXI News on radio, television, and online.
Beth Adams joined WXXI as host of Morning Edition in 2012 after a more than two-decade radio career. She was the longtime host of the WHAM Morning News in Rochester. Her career also took her from radio stations in Elmira, New York, to Miami, Florida.