House Explosion In Henrietta
HENRIETTA, N.Y. (AP and WXXI News) An explosion, apparently fueled by natural gas, flattened a home in Henrietta on Tuesday morning.
The call came in shortly before 8:30 a.m. on Buckley Place about a possible natural gas leak at the home.
A short while later, it was reported that there was an explosion at the scene. The home is heavily damaged. Smoke could be seen from a mile away.
A neighbor across the street told Time Warner Cable News they were having breakfast when the explosion shook their home.
Monroe County Deputies tell WXXI News that the homeowner apparently was driving his car into his garage when he hit a gas meter. He heard gas escaping and ran into the house to get his wife. They got out safely to a neighbor's house and the home exploded.
The blast sent a plume of black smoke into the sky.
There were no serious injuries. Fire investigators say the homeowner, Eugene Upshaw, told them his foot slipped on the pedal as he was going into his garage and that's when he struck the natural gas line and some other equipment.