RPD Reorganization Moves Forward
Rochester's Police reorganization has taken another step forward. Mayor Lovely Warren and Acting Chief Fred Bell say that five captains have been selected to command the new police sections. RPD is moving from the two-division model that has been in place since 2004, to a five-section model.
The change was pushed by the Warren administration as a way of helping improve community policing, and providing greater interaction between the people who live in the city and the officers who regularly patrol their neighborhoods.
The sections include parts of the Northwest, Southwest, Northeast and the center city.
The new captains and their sections are:
* Captain Wilson Johnson, Clinton Section: Captain Johnson has 32 years of service, including three as police captain. He is currently assigned as a patrol captain in the East Division
* Captain Lloyd Cuyler, Goodman Section: Captain Cuyler has 27 years of service, including eight as a police captain. He is currently assigned as a patrol captain in the East Division.
* Captain Raymond Dearcop, Lake Section: Captain Dearcop has 20 years of service, including three as police captain. He is currently assigned as a patrol captain in the West Division.
* Captain Peter Leach, Central Section: Captain Leach has 30 years of service, including four as a police captain. He is currently assigned as the Downtown Detail Captain.
* Captain Tony McMullen, Genesee Section: Captain McMullen has 19 years of service, including three as police captain. He is currently assigned as Acting Commander for the West Division.
The mayor and members of the police department will hold a series of community meetings in each of the sections to give people who live and work there a chance to meet the new captains and learn about the reorganization schedule.
The meeting schedule is as follows (all meetings will be held from 6 to 7:30 p.m.):
* Clinton Section: Wednesday, November 12, East Division Office Roll Call Room, 630 N. Clinton Avenue
* Goodman Section: Monday, November 24, Thomas P. Ryan Community Center Community Room, 530 Webster Avenue.
* Lake Section: Thursday, December 4, Aquinas Institute School Cafeteria, 1127 Dewey Avenue.
* Central Section: Wednesday, December 17, Public Safety Building Auditorium, 185 Exchange Boulevard
* Genesee Section: Thursday, December 18, Staybridge Hotel Castletown Room, 1000 Genesee Street.