Connections: Service Learning in Local Schools
How can we create tomorrow’s engaged citizens?
A new survey conducted by ACT for Education sums up the amount of charity work and volunteerism done by local students, and the results are inspiring. Rochester-area students raised $545,000 for charity and volunteered more than 105,000 hours of service work in 2014-2015. The survey credits local schools for creating community service opportunities and linking it to what they call "service learning." The goal? To created lifelong civic engagement. Our guests:
- Todd Butler, Ad Council president and CEO
- Idonia Owens, principal of School Without Walls
- Tomari Catledge, 11th grade student at School Without Walls
- Gina DiPaola, 12th grade student at West Irondequoit High School
- Larry Williams, 12th grade student at School Without Walls